Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Unexpected Comedy


  Yesterday I had to do some grocery shopping and took Benjamin to Sam's to pickup a few things (which for anyone that's been to Sam's that's next to impossible to only get a "few things").
  Well before we head off in search of a palette of dental floss I had to make a pit stop in the men's room. The only option I had was to hold Benjamin as I stood at the urinal. I thought it might be a good introduction to potty training for him. "See Benjamin this is what big boys do when they have to tinkle."
  My idea wasn't well thought out. I never thought about how he would react to the situation. Let's see. First he was fascinated what Daddy was doing at the urinal. (He loves to be around water. Loves to splash in the bath or pool so you can imagine he being fascinated by this.)
  Then the chrome of the urinal flusher grabbed his attention and he wanted to pull on it. I quickly pulled him away from the flusher while keeping my aim accurate.
  While he was trying to flush for me a man walked in to the restroom and took the urinal next to us. Benjamin leaned over to see if he recognized the gentleman and then realized he was doing the same as daddy with the splashing. He got excited about the whole encounter until another man entered and went for a stall. 
  This captured his attention as he heard the man fumble around and make noise from behind the door. He kept looking down at the man's feet which were viewable under the stall door. Then switched back to watching our urinal mate. Yeah it was a bit creepy.
  All of a sudden there was that shiny chrome handle and Benjamin went for it and flushed daddy's urinal. He had so much fun making his own splashing from the flush that he repeated. By this time I was finished and made my way for the sink.
  The one-hand sink wash is an accomplished skill let me tell you. Benjamin couldn't get over all the water splashing that was going on inside the restroom. I just hope it was a positive introduction to the bathroom and that he'll one day be excited about using the toilette like big boys. Until then I better lay off the coffee.

No comments: