Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Meeting a Star


Yesterday was one of those days since becoming a dad that were special. I took Benjamin to Epcot so we could spend some time with Cathy's cousin, Orietta, and her family while they went around the park. Right as we entered I saw guests lined up to have their picture taken with the character Stitch. How perfect.
For some reason Benjamin has always been drawn to Stitch. It's one of those mysteries of the world. He has two little Stitches at home that he takes everywhere with him and always has to go to bed with them. His Baka and Nono also bought him a medium and large sized versions as well. So he is a huge fan of Stitch and for me to be able to introduce him to his buddy was special.
We waited patiently in line to have our pictures taken with the blue alien when all of a sudden Stitch walked away. I guess it was time for a break (ya gotta love those union rules). About five minutes later he reappeared which was a big relief for me.
The family in front of us finished having their photo session when Benjamin looked up and saw a live version of his best buddy. I can't think of a time when he had a bigger smile on his face. You could see it in his eye. He couldn't believe he was with the real Stitch. He kept wanting to touch him and hold him. To Stitch's credit he was patient with him as well as me. I had Orietta's son Pete snapping pictures on my iPhone so I could email pictures immediately and his dad Richard taking better resolution pictures with my point and shoot.
After a few minutes I realized I was turning into one of THOSE dads who hogs up all the time with the character and doesn't allow the other families to get their moments. So we wrapped the photo shoot and that's when I traumatized my son.
Benjamin couldn't understand why he had to leave his buddy. I know he was thinking, "Come on Dad we just met Stitch. I want to hang out with him for a while."Then the crying began. Fortunately he was quickly distracted with something else.
Yesterday was definitely one of those days where I created another memory with my son. What a way to start my week.

No comments: