Thursday, August 13, 2009

Twittering Myself


Yeah that's right. I broke down and created a Twitter account. For the uninitiated Twitter is a way to post quick thoughts, pictures or links for the world to read or see. It's essentially the same as Facebook status updates just through a different source.

Some friends of mine sync their Twitter and Facebook accounts so that if it goes out to one it goes to both. I haven't done that as I want to try using Twitter for something a little different. I guess I post more thoughts to Twitter than I do for Facebook for now. Some of my Facebook friends have complained about the frequency of my status updates.

One of the things that has surprised me about Twitter since joining are the random people who have added or "followed" my feed. I get an email every so often saying @JoeSchmo is now a follower of yours. Who the heck is Joe Schmo and why did he decide to read my tweets? Who cares join my bandwagon.

In the process of getting more acquainted with Twitter I've found the page called Trending to be insightful especially on Fridays when new movies come out. Last week I wanted to see the thoughts of those who went to see the new G.I. Joe movie. I had low expectations of the movie but a lot of people on Twitter were giving it favorable reviews.

Then this past week the wife of Twitter CEO tweeted during the birth of their first child. It started with this tweet:
"Dear Twitter, My water broke. It wasn't like Charlotte in Sex and the City. Now, timing contractions on an iPhone app." When the contractions became too strong she handed the phone over to her husband Evan Williams to update followers on the baby's progress.

Kind of cool how some of this technology is changing the way in which we communicate. Like I said this is just something I'm dipping my toes in to for now. I'll see if there comes a time in which I'll take the dive. If you would like to follow my Twitter feed you can see it at http://twitter.com/livingstonphoto

No comments: