Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Mr. Big Head


  Yesterday was Benjamin's 15-month birthday (yes we're first-time parents and count every month) which meant we were going to the pediatrician's office today for his checkup. Cathy and I had a feeling he'd be low in the weight percentile and close to the 50th percentile for height.
We weren't too far off. Benjamin's statistics were:

Weight 21 lbs. 13 oz. 10%
Height 30 3/4" 40%
Head Size 48 75%

  The doctor suggested we try adding some Carnation instant breakfast to Benjamin's milk to add some calories as well as key vitamins to his daily diet. I told him how he sometimes eats like a bird and then like a wolf. The thing that keeps his weight mostly down is his energy level. He goes full-tilt every waking minute. I think he also gets Cathy's metabolism.
  What I wasn't expecting was his ranking on head size. 75th!!! The doctor said that they measure that to make sure he doesn't have water on the brain but not to worry he's fine. "Just tell your wife it's because he has a developing brain." (Again I hope he gets his mother's brains otherwise I'm going to be making several trips to see the music teacher at school.)

No comments: