Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Being my Best Man's Best Man


  This past weekend my best friend Robert married Angela in a beautiful ceremony at the Powell Crosley Mansion in Sarasota. Angela and Robert selected me to give the Best Man speech during the reception. 
  Needless to say I was a bit nervous. What would I say? What should I say? And so I did some research online. Most suggested to start with some light humor before delving in to something more sentimental.
  I got up early one morning last week and wrote my speech. I tried to keep it to under four minutes in duration.
  The following is my speech:

For those who don't know, Robert was the Best Man at my wedding. And after 8 years I was beginning to wonder if I'd ever get to return the favor.

First of all, I want to congratulate the parents of Angela and Robert. I know they must have a great sense of pride in watching their children today.

Robert and I have known each other for 20 years and in that time we have seen each other change from reckless teenagers into the men we are today. It is truly an honor to stand next to you today. I will have to say there were times when I wasn't sure you'd ever find the right woman. I think about some of the conversations we had over the years and thought that maybe you were setting the bar too high.

Then four years ago it happened. I was covering the Terry Schiavo story along with Robert and remember one night Robert telling me about this reporter he'd met. I thought, "You were trying to pick up a chick at Terry Schiavo?" So I had to go check her out the next day. I returned to Robert's house the next day and gave him my assessment that not only was she pretty she she was nice to talk to.

In those four years the two of you have endured many experiences and taken many journeys together. Those experiences and journeys will be the foundation upon which your marriage will be built and it is a strong one.

I would like to say to Robert, while I may have thought at one time that you set the bar too high you have managed to find a woman who goes beyond your expectations for a wife.

Angela you have taken my Best Man and made him into a great man.

To Angela and Robert

2 comments:

Robert Hudson said...

Chris - your speech was AWESOME and you were a major help to me during this wonderful day. I will always remember how great of a best man you were!

Chris Livingston said...

Not a problem brother.