Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Taking One for the Team


  Yesterday I covered an exhibition game between Team USA and the New York Yankees over at Steinbrenner Field in Tampa. Team USA is gearing up for the World Baseball Classic next week and was getting in some innings against the Yankees. My client was most interested in the feature and candid aspects of this exhibition game than the actual game action.
  I headed to the field during Team USA's batting practice to get shots of Derek Jeter palling around with his American teammates who are normally his opponents.
  Now for anyone who hasn't been to a baseball game, batting practice is just that practice for your batting swing. Players stand inside a cage of netting around home plate and hit patsy pitches from one of the coaches. It's a way for them to work on their mechanics. There are also screens around the infields to protect the players catching the balls on their return to the coach on the pitching mound.
  At Steinbrenner Field, you enter in right field and walk down the first base line to get to your shooting positions. As I walked the line I made sure I knew where the balls were being hit and when I was behind one of the infield screens. Well apparently I wasn't directly behind the first base screen.
  CRACK! "BALL!!!" screamed the players behind the batting cage. I looked up and saw a laser line drive heading right at me. In my right hand I had my big 400mm lens and slung over my left shoulder was my other camera and zoom lens. I wasn't agile enough to jump as I had about 25 pounds of gear on me.
  In a split second I decided I was just going to have to take one for the team. I tensed up my core muscles in anticipation of the impact.
  WHAM! I took the line drive right between the family jewels and left hip. I kind of bent over in an effort to catch the ball in my waist but the ball fell to the ground.
  I winced slightly and kept walking. As I past the dugout I heard players yell out, "Holy @#%&!" And, "Are you alright?"
  I merely looked at Team USA and replied, "What? Just because I'm only shooting baseball I shouldn't wear a cup? You gotta be careful out here. It's dangerous."
  Many of my colleagues came up to me after and asked if I really got hit by the ball. Or if I was hurt. One even said he thought I was wearing a fanny pack where the ball hit me because I never broke stride. I told Al that I didn't get hurt because of all the core strengthening I do.
  BTW, I have a very slight bruise where the ball hit me. Also I was only kidding about wearing the cup.

No comments: