Thursday, May 14, 2009

Fly Fishing in North Carolina


If you have a chance check out my latest travel story I shot in today's edition of the New York Times in their Escapes section. It's a story I shot with my favorite travel writer Christopher Collier. We traveled to the western part of North Carolina to do a story on fly fishing.
Now I've never been fly fishing but I quickly learned how much of a passion it is for many. This was the third time Christopher and I teamed up on a story and it lived up to our usual adventure. Previously we worked together on stories based in Florida (Florida's natural springs and kayaking in the Florida Keys) but this was our first story outside the state.
I shot this story last month and it was one of those stories that was more like a good road trip than work. We flew in to Greenville, SC and made the quick drive into North Carolina where the story would be written.
Over the next three days we drove all around the area in search of a good fishing hole. What I found was a hole in my waders which was no fun. I eventually ditched the waders at the end of the trip but before I did I made some good pictures.
Christopher was able to secure some nice accommodations for us at the High Hampton Inn in Cashiers, NC where we stayed in a relaxing cabin that could sleep 12. If I had more time I would've played the gorgeous golf course they have on property but our time was very limited.
Just to burst everyone's bubble about travel photography, it's never as wonderful as you think. In the end it's work. Plain and simple. You stay and see some of the most beautiful places this world has to offer but you aren't on holiday. You are there to make pretty pictures and once that is done you move on to make more pretty pictures.
Check out Christopher and I's story on fly fishing either by picking up today's copy or going to their website (http://travel.nytimes.com/2009/05/15/travel/escapes/15fly.html?ref=travel).

No comments: