Saturday, May 9, 2009

Glad I get Boston and not Tiger


This weekend I'm covering the Eastern Conference Semi-Finals of the NBA playoffs between the Boston Celtics and the Orlando Magic. If I weren't I would probably be up at the Players Championship in Ponte Vedra near Jacksonville.
I told Cathy the other night that I was glad to be doing the NBA for two days and making slightly less money than four days of golf. The main reason is because this weekend the high temperatures are in the mid 90s and I'll be shooting inside air conditioning.
I've covered the Players in years previous but that was when it was played at the end of March and not in May. There were times where I can remember shooting in freezing rain while walking 18. That won't be the case this weekend for my friends at TPC Sawgrass. Nope they're probably out there right now huffing it up and down the stadium course getting their pretty pictures of Tiger while trying to stay hydrated.
Me, on the other hand, will be courtside in my chair shooting the Celtics going at it with the Magic in comfy 68-degrees air conditioning. I'll also have a beverage case close to my laptop and munchies to snack on during the game.
The other part of why I'm pleased to be covering the NBA playoffs and not the unofficial 5th major is that golf is the most physically demanding sport to shoot I think. A typical day last 12 hours, your outside in the elements and your humping 30-lbs. of gear with you.
Tomorrow I'll get to the arena around 5:30pm, set my remote camera, dine in the media room, shoot the game and get home around midnight. I won't have to sleep in some motel bed either and when I wake up I get to see Benjamin. Bring on the Celtics. Sorry Tiger.

No comments: