Sunday, June 7, 2009

Where was this 20 years ago?


So I stumbled upon this video on the WIRED RSS feed and thought it was pretty cool how far video gaming has come. I mean I thought The Legend of Zelda was cutting edge when I was growing up but this is mind blowing.

I've been a fan of Tony Hawk for almost 25 years. As a teen I skated all around Temple Terrace with my friends. We would buy the Powell & Peralta videos whenever they'd come out (I still have my VHS tapes including The Search for Animal Chin.) and watch them endlessly.

Watching Tony transform himself from professional skateboarder into a household name was interesting. He really hit it big when he started designing and producing skateboarding video games and the latest is incredible.

In the video Tony shows how gamers will be able to use a special deck to perform tricks in the new game and accumulate points. It's kind of like Tony Hawk on the Wii.

If only I'd had this 20 years ago I could've probably saved myself the pain of a lot of scraped knees and elbows.

No comments: