Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Slam Cam Setup


Last week during the NBA Eastern Conference Finals I was informed that I would be responsible to set up the pool remote for all of the wires that goes behind the glass backboard during Game 4. This wasn't a problem as I've done this for years at USF basketball games. The main difference was that this was the NBA and not USF. I knew that I would have to get approval for where I positioned this remotely fired "slam cam" so as not to block TNT's cameras. At USF I was the only one who ever clamped a remote behind the backboard so I had carte blanche. Now it was a little different.

Only the NBA and Sports Illustrated are allowed to set their cameras behind the glass at every game in the playoffs. All the others had to share a pool camera. Well it was EPA's rotation and I was the person in charge of rigging the camera as well as firing it during the game.
Tipoff for the game wasn't until 8:30pm which meant I needed to get my remote installed around 2pm. No joke. Because you have the teams practicing in the morning, then rehearsals for all the performers during the game and halftime before the players come back to warmup the only time I could rig was six hours ahead of time.

The key to rigging any remote is safety. The camera is locked into place using a special clamp that screws into the tripod socket and then clamped to one of the support arms connecting the backboard to the stanchion. Once you have it locked down, a safety cable is connected to the camera and support arm in the event the clamp fails the camera doesn't come crashing down on someone (specifically a multi-million dollar athlete).

The next part is to focus the lens to where the anticipated action will be and shoot a couple test frames to see if it's sharp. Finally you have to connect the camera to a remote triggering device. In this case I use a Pocket Wizard Multi Max to fire the camera. Once the shutter release cable is connected to the Wizard and the camera I do anther test fire to make sure the remotes are receiving the signal and then I turn everything off.

About 40 minutes before the game I had to scramble up a ladder to turn on my remote camera and double check everything. This was important as it would be the last time until halftime that I would be able to change any settings.

Now during the game I have two cameras in my possesion. One is used for the times when the action is at my end of the court and the other had a long telephoto lens attached for the times the action goes to the other end. It is on the down court camera that I attached the remote trigger for the "glass cam".


The Pocket Wizard transmitter fits into the flash hot shoe at the top of the camera. This is so that I just have to follow the action and fire whenever something happens. Thus allowing me to have an action sequence from both the camera in my hand and the one behind the backboard. I don't have to make a snap decision which camera might have the best angle I can see both angles later to decide.

At the end of the game I took a look through the hundred of shots I got and felt pretty good about what I captured. It was just a little stressful because I couldn't tell if it was firing during the game and I was responsible for more people photo feeds. And that was the last thing I needed. Someone else's picture editor yelling at me when I don't even work for them.

Now on to the NBA Finals. Go Magic!!

No comments: