Monday, June 15, 2009

Capturing a Champion


What a game. To document the Lakers' 15th NBA Championship was simply amazing. And shooting pictures of Kobe doing what Kobe does was astonishing. There were some shots he would take that I was certain there would be no way he'd make it and he did.

Watching the Lakers celebrate on the Magic's home court was disheartening to me as a fan but great to capture as a photographer. Photographing basketball history in the making was special. Getting images of Phil Jackson holding the Larry O'Brien trophy for the tenth time and surpassing Red Auerbach is something I know I'll always look back on say, "Yeah I was there."


I also documented Magic center Dwight Howard sitting on the bench and watching the Lakers' pump their fists and celebrate their title. That had to be rough for a player who wanted to carry his team to the stage and hoist the O'Brien trophy himself.

Covering The Finals was a great moment for me professionally but those three games were exhausting. I'm glad to say that the basketball season is over and I was able to work the final game. Hey doesn't NFL training camps open in four weeks?

No comments: