Sunday, November 9, 2008

If There's Smoke there's a Party


  Today was Benjamin's first birthday party. Even though he turns one tomorrow we celebrated with family and friends today.
  Cathy and I decided that we would have a cookout-type of party with hotdogs and hamburgers. In theory that sounded great but reality was much different.
  We had so many people come to celebrate Benjamin's birthday. All the grandparents (with the exception of Sergio who was in Croatia) were in attendance. Let's just say Benjamin didn't need to walk if he choose. There were plenty of people who wanted to hold him.
  Once the guest arrived I had put burgers and hotdogs on the grill. My dad took over on the cooking in order to free me up for hosting duties. 
  In defense of my father I hadn't thoroughly cleaned the grill in a while which lead to heavy smoke pouring in to our house. Thus causing the smoke alarms to go off all throughout the house. Seriously it was laughable the noise in the house. We ended up having to pull all the batteries from the smoke detectors as well as pull the breakers. The noise was deafening.
  I have to say that even though it was a baby's party I think that the adults had fun. Cathy and I tried to make it as entertaining as possible with the toddlers running around the house. 
  Thanks to all of Benjamin's grandparents, aunts, uncles, friends and loved ones who came to his party. We appreciate every one of you.
  As I am typing this I remember a year ago. I was driving my very pregnant wife to Winnie Palmer and we had just settled in to our delivery room. It would become the longest day of my life. I never felt the fear I did that night and never felt such joy when the sun rose and my son was born. This has been such an incredible year for me. I look forward to all the years ahead of us as parents.

4 comments:

Avitable said...

It was very fun, even for those of us who don't have little poop machines.

Happy birthday, Benjamin!

Amy said...

Happy Birthday Benjamin. We love you.

Shippeys said...

We had a great time! We were happy to help Benjamin celebrate his day!

Dad said...

As I write this it is after 10PM Sunday and I too can recall being at the hospital for what would become an all night watch. Luckily you had convince me to purchase this MacBook so we could stay in contact during Cathy's labor.

Benjamin's party was quite interesting. He and his fellow "rug rats" were very entertaining. I hope that as the days and weeks go by Benjamin will get to enjoy all the great gifts he received.

Happy Birthday grandson,

Love Grandpa & Grammie