Saturday, November 1, 2008

A Croupy Halloween


  Well Benjamin's first Halloween was not what we planned. Instead of dressing him back up in his monkey suit and trick-or-treating in the neighborhood we stayed at home and ran the humidifier for our barking seal.
  Yesterday morning he woke up with a congested sound. I would've taken him to the doctor but I wanted him to spend the day with Cathy's folks before her dad left today for Croatia. Tell me I didn't feel guilty about that decision last night.
  I have to say our pediatrician, Dr. Yarckin, is very patient with first-time parents. He talked me down and let me know that he'd seen this hundreds of times over the years and it was nothing new. (It also didn't help that we were watching House.) Dr. Yarckin told me he'd see us in the morning.
  So with a little Vick's and some Robotussin we put Benjamin in his humidified room for the night. Cathy decided she'd sleep on the floor while I took up all of our bed. Throughout the night she refilled the humidifier and gave him Robotussin.
  We were the first ones in the office this morning. Dr. Yarckin gave Benjamin a steam treatment to help open his breathing passage and told us that he had Croup. He sounded so much better after the steam and fell asleep in the car on the way back to the house.
  So now I've gotten through my first real bout with sickness and Benjamin. It was a bit stressful. I felt a little helpless as I rocked my sick little boy. All he wanted to do was breath more easily and sleep. I just wanted to do what ever it took to help him. Just like any parent.

1 comment:

Amy said...

He's such a cutie. Sorry about the croup. Jack had it in September and I've never been so scared in my life. Fortunately, he doesn't remember it or mommy crying.