Wednesday, November 5, 2008

A Witness to History


EDITOR'S NOTE: AS MANY ALREADY KNOW I TRY TO SIDESTEP POLITICS ON MY BLOG. I FEEL THAT THERE ARE TOO MANY POLITICIZED BLOGS ALREADY OUT THERE AND I DON'T NEED TO ADD TO THEM. HOWEVER I FEEL I WOULD BE REMISSED FOR LETTING THE OPPORTUNITY PASS AND NOT TALK ABOUT THE ELECTION.

  Last night we hosted a small, quiet election-watching party. Our friends Brian and Christina brought their 6-month-old son Joseph over to eat dinner and watch the returns. As we flipped around the networks we watched states turn red and blue. Eventually the Equis left around the time the networks were trending an Obama victory.
  Benjamin didn't even make it for the first state to be called for either candidate. He had enough of all the campaign commercials and called it a night.
  Cathy and I stayed up to watch as all the major news organizations called the winner of the Presidential race at 10pm. Cathy was able to make it to Senator McCain's concession speech but headed to bed soon after.
  I stayed up and watched as 200,000 people listened in Grant Park to President-elect Obama talk to the country. I listened to the 44th President talk about how he came to this point and more importantly where we as a country needed to go.
  No matter if you are Republican, Democrat, Green Party, Nader lover or none of the above you had to take in what was happening. A new chapter in our country's history was being written.
  After turning off the television, I walked into my son's room to make sure he was sleeping comfortably. I looked down at him, rubbed his back and told him, "You will never remember this night but you'll always be able to say that you were there when President Obama was elected."

No comments: