Monday, January 12, 2009

Date Night


  This wekend I had a chance to go out on a date...with my WIFE! Yeah I know been there, done that but it was nice. I called my mom earlier in the week and asked if she wouldn't mind having Benjamin stay the night at her house Saturday knowing full-well she wouldn't have any problem.
  We went out for dinner at Carrabba's where we had a gift certificate from my step-sister and husband. We made an agreement to not discuss certain things Saturday night. Topic number one we were not to discus was the cutest, Benjamin. And topic number two was money. Both of these were to be avoided and allow us to have conversations that we normally don't talk about.
  We arrived a few minutes early and had a drink at the bar before being seated. Dinner was really nice. We told the server that we weren't in a rush and wanted to take our time through dinner. We ended up having a four-course meal and enjoyed each others company without the thought of where were the "Goldfish crackers" or "did he just poop?" We talked about what we wanted to do with decorating the house and doing some landscaping. In other words it allowed us to catch up with what the other was doing and give the person our undivided attention.
  Then the table behind us was sat with an adorable 11-week-old boy. And I broke the pact. I told Cathy to turn around and look at the little guy drinking from the newborn bottle. 
  "Remember when Benjamin use to drink like that," I asked. The little guy was almost asleep but still drinking his milk just like our Mino used to do when he was that little. You forget how tiny they were and the little things they used to do. Now the little booger runs around and grabs every item available to his sticky fingers. And we haven't even gotten to the terrible tw... Never mind we were on a date and I wasn't supposed to be talking about him.
  No we had a great time and looked forward to not having to make the nightly trip across the house to retrieve someone's pacifier. We could sleep in as late as we wanted without the alarm clock of a hungry child to wake us.
  I think we'll do this once a month. Even if I still wake up at 6:30.
  

No comments: