Monday, October 20, 2008

World Series Bound


  I'm still in disbelief that my hometown Rays are not only the AL Champs but they are going to the World Series. More importantly I'll be on the field with them Wednesday as they host the Philadelphia Phillies in the World Series. Wow I'm shooting the World Series!
  Before the game last night I could feel a buzz around Tropicana Field. The problem was I couldn't tell if it was a buzz that the Rays would win or if the Red Sox would hold the momentum and not let it swing back to Tampa Bay. We all felt anxious for an end to this grueling series and knew that these two teams would take it to the end.
  I made the decision yesterday that I was going to help my Rays win this by throwing all of my photo support to the Sox. Yes you heard me I was going to set myself up to shoot great images of the defending Champs which meant that I was actually jinxing myself and not the Rays.
  As I mentioned in yesterday's blog entry I adjusted remotes for game 7 after Saturday night's game. I decided I wanted to set up a Red Sox "high-five" cam right next to the dugout where Francona stands to get images of Red Sox players returning to the dugout after scoring. I thought it would be a win-win situation because I would either have some cool wide angle shots of jubilation that the other photographers wouldn't have or I'd get nothing but a trip the World Series. My jinx worked.
  As the Rays dugout ran onto the field to pile on relief pitcher David Price and catcher Dioner Navarro I followed. After a few moments of celebration pictures I headed to the clubhouse for the obligatory Champagne spraying images.
  I didn't have to wait long in my poncho with a camera inside an underwater housing. The players streamed in to the locker room and almost instantly had corks popping before shaking and spraying. I didn't care I had all my gear protected and a change of clothes... bring it on!
  At one point Fernando Perez sprayed me with the bubbly and got some in my eye which burned. I ran over to a counter where the clubhouse manager had set out Nike swim goggles to put on to protect our eyes. So here I was soaked in Champagne running around a locker room taking pictures with an underwater rig of baseball players spraying each other. I wouldn't have wanted it any other way.
  I got back to my hotel room this morning around 3 and slept for a few hours. Now I've got to get some things taken care of, pickup Benjamin at his grandparents in Kissimmee, drop him off with a neighbor and head to Amway Arena to photograph Barak Obama and Hillary Clinton. 
  I'm exhilarated and exhausted. I'm looking at some long days ahead of me this week but it doesn't matter. I'M GOING TO THE FRICKIN' WORLD SERIES!!!!!

2 comments:

Amy said...

I've been rooting for them mainly so you can shoot the game. Congrats!

Chris Livingston said...

Thanks! I'm working on 3-4 hours of sleep right now and about to head out to cover Barak. I head back over to Tropicana tomorrow to pickup my credential and workout logistics for the Series. All to have it start on Wednesday and game 2 Thursday. I'm hoping to get regular sleep again sometime before Thanksgiving.