Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Ready to Go



  While I'm fighting this cold I picked up during the ALCS (I think it was from the night Cathy had the AC cranked at the hotel after Game 6.) I'm packed and ready to go. I spent this morning thinking about how I wanted to shoot my first World Series and where I wanted my remotes. Last night our staffer in charge of baseball sent out the shooting assignments and I drew the up position which is good and bad. The good is that I like being the up shooter and have a little flexibility to move around during the game. The bad news that I'm responsible for dumping all the card the three of us shoot. 
  I'll try and explain what I'll be doing during the next two nights. We have three photographers, including myself, that'll be covering the games in St. Pete. After the first inning I'll head back to the workroom under the stands to download the compact flash cards to my laptop and then drop them in a FTP folder to our editor in LA. (For those unsure what a FTP folder is it's where I connect to a remote computer and drop and drag the pictures from my laptop to the remote computer.)
  After doing that I have to obtain the "pool" images of the starting pitchers. Usually one of the wire photographers is allowed behind home plate during the first inning to get straight on shots of each team's starting pitcher and then make them available to everyone. (Look for it tonight in the first if you're watching the game.) After transmitting those images I'll have to check to see if the our photogs sent any more cards back and move those. 
  Then if there's time I'll go back to my position and shoot for another inning only to return to the workroom and continue making the donuts (and by that I don't mean Dunkin' Donuts I mean taking disks and dumping them to the editor.).
  Around the 8th inning I'll head back out to the up position and finish shooting the game. Then all three of us will return to the workroom and move a few images each from the end of the game.
  I plan to stretch before the game so I don't pull anything. I'm very anxious about shooting my first World Series. I shot my first National Championship a few years ago down at the Orange Bowl when USC won the BCS but this is a pro championship. A little different but in the end it's still just a baseball game.  Go Rays!!

No comments: