Tuesday, September 30, 2008

The Longest Kick


  Buccaneers Field Goal kicker Matt Bryant had hit several field goals at 24-yards out during his NFL career but this one felt like he was standing back in Texas. That's because the day before his game against the Green Bay Packers he was in Texas burrying his three-month-old son Tryson.
  Tryson passed away in his sleep last Wednesday and for this father it was his world. On Sunday the kicker stepped up to the game-winning attempt and did what he was supposed to do. He kicked the field goal that would put his team up against the Packers and win the game.
  For Bryant to make that kick was monumental. I don't know how he was able to put on the uniform and run onto the field Sunday let alone kick the field goal to win the game but he did it. In my eyes Matt is a brave man.
  I couldn't help but get caught up in the story line during the game. I guess that's what I get for being a father. I hope I am never put in the place that Matt Bryant is in these days but if I do I hope I can find his strength.
  I had a lot of conflicting feelings at the game's conclusion. Here I was taking pictures of Matt at a very bad time. Yet I wanted to respect him and document what he was doing as a dad. He loved his son so much that he wanted to properly memorialize him with his performance. Matt's actions for Tryson were commendable.
  Following the game Matt talked about the day. "Today was his day," Bryant said. "It was all about him for me. I talked with him personally in my head throughout the game. I just want to remind him that he's my baby boy and he's with me all the time."
  I couldn't wait to see Benjamin when I got home. I just wanted to hold him in my arms and kiss him. In a way I felt guilty that I could hold my son and Matt was grieving for his little boy. It just makes you appreciate every minute that you have with your children and let them know how much you love them.

No comments: