Thursday, September 4, 2008

The Power of Blogging



  On the heels of my last entry, I have another that deals with our AV system. The last few weeks I've been having intermittent problems with our Samsung DVD recorder/player. For some reason it wouldn't read our movies when we wanted to watch one and then it would. No rhyme or reason.
  So when I was installing the Yamaha I couldn't get any of the DVDs to play on the Samsung and eventually just unhooked it from the entertainment center.
When I called 800-Samsung I got a very helpful customer service rep who told me that 90% of the time the problem is resolved by using a DVD lens cleaning disk. Not a problem I thought. I'll go pick one up while running errands.
  So today I got back to the house with what I though would be my troubleshooter. The player read the cleaning disk and proceeded to cycle through the process. I did as the Samsung CSR instructed and ran the cleaner through three times but when I placed Talladega Nights in the tray and his play I got nothing... again!
  I called back to 800-Samsung and got another CSR who read over my incident report and offered a couple more suggestions to resolve this issue. The first was to try another $15 cleaning disk and the second was to buy a can of compressed air to shoot in the slot. I told the CSR that I wasn't going to invest too much more in to this player and that I thought it had something to do with the unit.
  I informed the rep that I had my old DVD player which was almost ten-years-old and it was able to still play as good as it did when we bought in Pittsburgh. The reasons I bought the Samsung was I liked the idea of upgrading our viewing experience as well as being able to record shows we saved on the DVR.
  His response was,"Well players can get quite dusty and aren't meant for a lot of wear and tear."
  "But we only use it a couple of times a month. And it's only two-years-old," I said. I guess I thought I was buying a quality product that wouldn't need to be replaced in 26 months.
When I told the rep that if I had to replace this unit I would probably go with Panasonic, LG or Sony and know that my money was safe. He responded, "Well that's a decision you'll have to make."
  It wasn't until I said, "Well I guess one of the things this Samsung DVD player has done for me is give me fodder for my blog." And with that his tune changed.
"Well try the canned air and if it doesn't work call us back. Maybe we could extend you a service call."
  Funny how companies now feel threatened when someone mentions writing in their blog or on Facebook about a bad experience.

No comments: