Sunday, September 7, 2008

Not Even Close


  Now I know what you're thinking. This entry is about how South Florida's football team is so much better than Central Florida. While that observation is correct it isn't the point of this entry is about the Nikon D3 digital SLR camera that I shot last night compared to my four-year-old Canon.
  A friend of mine used a D3 last weekend and told me about his findings when using the camera for indoor baseball. I had seen some of the reviews online and knew about it's high ISO prowess but was curious to find out firsthand what this camera could do.
  I had the chance to test one out during the USF v UCF game last night at Brighthouse Networks Field. I normally shoot with my Canon and a 400mm f/2.8 rig set to 1000 ISO. With the D3 I was able to get better image quality set at 2000 ISO and used a lighter, smaller rig.
  The images I captured with the Nikon were unbelievable to say the least. Nikon has definitely pushed the envelope as of late with it's digital camera. The fact that you don't have to buy the heavy and expensive fast glass anymore is amazing. Don't get me wrong you still need to invest in quality glass but not f/2.8 lenses.
  There were many times last night that I was surprised at what I could get with the Nikon rig which had almost the same reach as my Canon gear. The image above was from overtime right before South Florida QB Matt Grothe threw it to Taurus Johnson on the very next play to win the game. I thought this was a more dramatic image.
  I just hope that Canon's announcement this week is a camera that can compete with the Nikons or I just might have to start listing some stuff on eBay.

No comments: