Thursday, September 18, 2008

Don't Tase me Bro!


  Last night I was at a baseball game and a hockey game broke out. No seriously. I was shooting the final game in the series between the Red Sox and the Rays. A lot was at stake in regards to the American League East title not to mention home field advantage during the post-season.
  So as the Rays were pulling away from their second place competition I decided to go up to the main concourse level to shoot something different than all of my colleagues. I lined up along the line from first to second base in order to maybe get a cool infield play or something else. Something else was something I missed by going up.
  In the seventh inning, I noticed the fans a fews section over and in front of me stood up as if a fight was about to break out. Apparently some drunken Red Sox fans (go figure) were talking smack with a bunch of Rays fans. Security was called in to break things up and that's when it got interesting.
  The Sox fan broke the hold of the security guards and made a dash for the top of the Rays' dugout. The guards caught up to the inebriated fan and with the help of an extra guard tried to subdue him. He almost carried the three onto the field when a St. Petersburg Police officer tapped a guard on the shoulder and pulled out his taser gun.
  The officer placed the taser to the back of the fan's head and was able to get the drunk to submit and comply with their orders. He eventually was hauled off in cuffs along with his friend to the cheers of many in the section.
  This series was definitely a memorable one. I saw Boston amass homeruns as if Tampa Bay was pitching batting practice to them. The very next night the Rays won in story book fashion with a bases loaded bottom of the ninth blooper to win. All that capped off the series with a bizzare taser-threatening game that stopped play. Rays games have never been this exciting in September. I can't wait to see what the games will be like in October.

No comments: