Wednesday, September 10, 2008

USA Today Cover


  A few weeks ago I did a story for USA Today on Disney's Wide World of Sports Complex. Wide World has been open for 11 years and caters to all types of amateur athletic tournaments. The story deals with how Disney can attract these tournaments over other venues because it can offer total family entertainment as well as lodging and food. 
  The editor on the story wanted me to photograph the Briuglio family form New Orleans during their son Brandon's little league baseball game in the morning. Then follow them as the went through the Magic Kingdom later that afternoon. 
  In addition to the Briuglios I also needed to capture the complex as a whole. Trying to illustrate how large and diverse of a sporting complex Wide World is. I ran around with my friend Marques who works in Disney's public relations office to shoot every thing from field hockey to volleball to soccer and even high school football. (I felt bad for the team from Columbine (CO) High School playing football in 93-degree swamp weather against Port Charlotte (FL) High School.)
  It turned in to a long day and one that coincided with my birthday. I think I shot something like 1,200 images for the story all of which had to be captioned and process before Fed Exing up to McLean, VA. I also went through a gallon of water while running around Disney property. I'm just glad Marques had access to a golf cart.

PS- Today is also Benjamin's 10-month birthday. Happy 10 months, monkey. Mommy and Daddy are so proud of you and love you very much.

No comments: