Friday, September 19, 2008

Standing Tall


  So I go away for a few days only to come home and see my son now standing confidently on his own. Wow! I feel like if I leave him again I'll come back to him driving a car to his part-time job at Publix.
  OK so it's a little far fetched but that's kind of how I felt as we sat in the living room last night and watched Benjamin pull himself to a stand on the little stool my Aunt Barbara made him. He only stands for a few seconds but it feels like an eternity to a father.
  I have descried watching my son standing as miraculous. Again it's extreme sounding but to me it accurately describes the way I felt the first time Benjamin stood on his own. To see my own child stand under his own power and essentially creating his independence was exhilarating. Someone that only weeks ago couldn't even crawl could now stand under his own power and with such confidence is nothing short of a miracle.
  I know there are many milestones that Cathy and I will observe over the years but I cherish and enjoy watching every one that my son accomplishes. Who knows maybe one day I'll write a blog about the miracle of watching a child of mine become a doctor. I know how big of a miracle would that be?

3 comments:

Dad said...

Yeah, yeah yeah.....blah blah blah

Just kidding son. You and Cathy can take great pride in enjoying each and every "miracle" Benjamin presents to you. That is the joy of being a parent.

Just wait until until you see him become more and more independent such as swimming across a pool just to show off to the lifeguards that it can be done by a 5 year old. Or going off the high dive because he knows he can.

I have no doubts that as Benjamin grows up both of his parents will not place any barrier in front of him that you do not think he can handled. Be it a doctor, lawyer, well digger, community leader whatever. Nurturing (sic) a child is what is expected of all parents. I am lucky that my one claim to fame was giving you my old 35mm camera as a teenager. I am so proud of what that accomplished in your life.

Love,

Dad

Chris Livingston said...

Thanks Dad! See you tomorrow.

Amy said...

Love all of you. We wish we could be there for Benjamin's big milestone tomorrow. Please send us lots of photos